Monday, November 9, 2009

Coles surgery

I know I am very late in posting this one but decided to anyways so that I at least can go back and recall what happened. When Cole was born I noticed that there was this small lump behind his right ear, I didn't know what it was and didn't really say anything. Well as he got older I noticed that it was still there and seemed to be growing with him. So at his 6 month check up I had his doctor take a look, she said she thought it was a cyst and then suggested that I go see a pediatric neuro surgeon. At the end of August we went in and saw a surgeon at PCH and he took a look and confirmed that it was a cyst. Or also so known as a skull tumor what it is, is a mass of skin cells that is attached to the skull and continues to grow as he grows. In order to remove it he has to be put to sleep they then cut out the cyst and then drill the skull a little bit, just to make sure they have removed all of it. If they don't get it all it can grow back.
So on the 14th of September we took Cole into the hospital, he wasn't allowed to eat at all that morning so he was pretty hungry but he was still pretty happy. The surgery itself only took about 30 minutes but he was under for about an hour. The surgery went well and they were able to remove all of the cyst. We got to go sit by him while he was waking up, it was so weird seeing him unconscious, it took me back to when he was so sick. I didn't like having those monitors beeping at me, him being out of it. I'm so grateful that all went well with this surgery and he recovered well from the anesthesia. The rest of the day he was a little tired but other than that he acted as if nothing had happened to him. He now just has a little scar behind his ear.





1 comment:

John and Laura said...

I'm so glad the surgery went smoothly. I can't believe how much he reminds me of your brothers! Cute kid. :)